Accelerating artists’ and producers’ ideas through tailored support, mentorship and paid incubation time.
We are excited to be running our first artist development project; REcreate Accelerator.
When we set up The REcreate Agency at the start of 2021, we were intent on ensuring we provided paid development opportunities for producers and artists right from the start. We don’t see this as an add on, but as an integral part of what we do. We sat down and thought about what artists and producers really need right now to do their best work. The answer we came up with? More money, more support and more time!!
REcreate Accelerator provides nine artists / producers with bespoke, tailored support, mentorship and paid incubation time, each receiving £500 to develop their practice however they need. Running from February – April 2022, we’re working with eight early-career practitioners who have the beginnings of an idea, project, production, or concept and need support, skills and time to help develop it.
We had over 80 applications and wanted to find a group who’s practices spanned across the sector and who reflected our the diversity of our priority underrepresented target groups. We’re now pleased to announce our first REcreate Accelerator cohort:
REcreate Accelerator Cohort – ( L-R) Gabi Spiro, Bobby Harding, Tanya Truman, Clare Pointing, Maria Cuervo, Anna Spearpoint, Clodagh Chapman, Lucy Donald, Simon Marshall
To be eligible, applicants needed to:
- Be an artist or producer residing in the UK
- Be an artist or producer who would consider themselves to be an early career.
- Have something you want to develop. This could be a show, production, project or concept and can be in any discipline. At REcreate, we mostly work within theatre, dance, live art, musicals, and outdoor contexts.
- Be at a point in your career where you feel like they need some structured support
- Ideally, but not essentially, be someone who identifies as coming from one of our priority underrepresented target groups:
- D/Deaf or disabled
- Queer or LGBTQ+
- Working Class
- Caring Responsibilities
- Black/Brown Global Majority
We recognise that every artist and producer will have different experience and needs depending on where they are on their artist development journey, so we’re working with each practitioner to identify what their goals are for the programme and what key skills they’d like to develop. Think of it like a mini Arts Council England DYCP! What will materialise is a package that maximises the support and benefits to each practitioner. Accelerator for most applicants will look something like:
- Mentorship with the REcreate team to develop a plan and identify key areas of development
- Group workshops on pitching practice, dramaturgy, budgeting and fundraising – all tools needed to get an idea up on its feet and out into the world!
- A session on implementing wellbeing and care as key aspects of your practice
- Group networking with industry professionals and other REcreate supported artists
REcreate Accelerator will end in an in-person pitching and networking event on (Date & location TBC) which will see the eight participants come together along with invited guests to pitch their idea and commit to their next steps.
Applications opened on Thursday 4 November 2021 and will closed on Monday 29th November 2021.